Members - Recertification
The EMT recertification course is limited to GERMS members and GERMS alumni. The recertification class will begin in early April and will last for two weekends. Further details will be posted as the date approaches; for further information, please e-mail Neil Menon, Recertification Coordinator.
For the NREMT Recertification guidelines, click here. For GERMS re-certification information, please see the attached file.
These guidelines and checklists are subject to change.
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
To re-register for an NREMT license, you need 48 CME hours. You can fulfill CME hours through:
(1) Lectures at Georgetown University: Check the GERMS calendar
(2) Lectures at George Washington University: Check for emails
(3) Ride-alongs, including Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rescue Squad, Ashburn Fire, or MedStar helicopter. 2 hours of CME are given for each 12-hour shift ridden. Maximum of 4 CME hours from ride-alongs. . For more information about riding with DC Fire/EMS, see the guidelines here.
(4) Online CME: You can complete up to 12 hours from any (CECBEMS-approved courses. The most frequently used is EMCert.com.
(5) CPR Instructor course: Look for an email from the Director of CPR. Equal to 12 hours of CME.
(6) Some college coursework can be applied for 24 hours of CME.
You can check your CME here.